PDA

View Full Version : How often to you change your bag?

Partypooper :)
27th January 2010, 05:13 PM
I try and get two days out of mine, but i feel happier to change it every morning. How about you guys?

cuddles4me
27th January 2010, 07:22 PM
Hi ..a question im also interested in. I use a 2 pc and dont seem to get that long out of it some times it doesnt even last the 2 days and i only have enough for every 2 days so was thinking of changing to a one piece were i can order 1 each day. Would like to know what others use and how long they get. Great question :)

Shaz
27th January 2010, 07:30 PM
Basically, as often as you need to :) Everyone is different and you'll soon work out the optimum wear time for you. Some people can go a week, others only get a day or two. Everyone is different and just because someone can get 7 days from a certain appliance, doesn't mean you will too!

Having said that, experiment with different brands and see what sort of weartime you get with them - they may like your skin better and stick better for you.

27th January 2010, 08:03 PM
I use a one piece bag, sansura midi, i could keep mine on for a week as i never have any problems with it, but i feel cleaner if i change it everyday and i let my skin air for an hour or so.

Jayne
27th January 2010, 10:11 PM
I changed mine daily but that was because I was taught to do so and had monthly supplies delivered to my home which is normal in the UK, having said that I did when I changed to a two piece only change the bag and left the rest on for a few days. Each is different and preference and economics can play a part in the decision. Those in countries who pay for appliances change less from my experience.

Pronto
27th January 2010, 11:41 PM
Hi I change mine twice a day , morning and night , as I use a larger one for the night

Terry G
28th January 2010, 02:27 AM
I change my urostomy set-up every 72 hours maximum which is the recommendation to avoid infection, change my ileostomy flange at the same changing session as that is convenient for me, but change to a new ileostomy pouch every morning to get a pouch with a working filter. That way I can usually avoid the 'Hindenberg' effect during the day!

Terry

lady in waiting
28th January 2010, 07:41 AM
I had an illeostomy and, I would change mine every 7-9 days until my skin began to break down and, then I had to change my bag every other day. My skin was breaking down due to me being allergic to the bags not how long I was wearing them. It's really a comfort issue. My ostomy nurse told me that the longer I could go with out changing my bag the better. I don't know how true that is for others, but it worked for me.

scrapiron
28th January 2010, 08:16 AM
One piece Hollister Premier, 7 to 10 days

kendo
29th January 2010, 05:10 AM
1 piece sensure - usually 2days, but id always change it after mountain biking or football as after sports/sweat id be worried about leaks, especially after the mountain bike as im lent forward most of the time therefore bending the wafer

suejoe2009
29th January 2010, 06:08 PM
I tend to change my every night - sometimes I might leave it and go 2 days but never more than that. I am afraid that it would start to pong if I left it any longer. I wear a 2 piece - seal & bag.

AliL
31st January 2010, 05:22 AM
I think you could be right about the countries who pay for their appliances wearing them longer. I live in Scotland and receive mine free as it is non reversible. Not sure why that should be any different to reversible ones! Im new to this, but my nurse suggested changing the pouch every morning when I shower. I was having lots of leaks and was changing it 2/3 times a day but after changing to the Pelican convex bags I have had no leaks for 12 days and am changing the pouch every morning. I see some people get days out of theirs but I think im too scared to wait longer than 24 hours. I will maybe get more confident as the leak free days continue! Mine is an Illeostomy by the way.

Fredruff13
4th February 2010, 04:42 PM
Those in countries who pay for appliances change less from my experience.

So true, I live in the US and don't have Health Insurance so I have to pay for everything. I get my wafers to stay on average a week but sometimes up to two weeks. I change the bags more often to avoid breakage in the seams.

4th February 2010, 05:18 PM
I don't think its fair, its a medical issue that can't be helped and we need the supplies, so wouldn't it be great if no one had to pay. I don't have to pay, but i feel for those who do!

benok
6th February 2010, 01:57 PM
Wear time lasts for a week ( 7 to 8 days ) leakage and odor free... yeah, since I have to buy for two piece appliances, I could not afford to change it frequently since we dont have government and health care subsidies. I would just like to add that wearing an ostomy belt helps in keeping the flange secure and therefore last longer.

tessa36
10th April 2010, 07:37 AM
I try to make my 1 pc sensura convec bag last at least two days but its not always possible.
Due to where my ileostomy is placed (right bang next door to my ruddy navel!) it tends to lift away on the side where the navel is, even if I have secure strips surrounding the bag.
I dont have to pay for my stoma stuff and as an unexpected bonus because of this (and probably because of where I live) I'm exempt from paying for prescriptions too.

MontanaGal
10th April 2010, 09:45 AM
I use a non-drainable bag (two piece) and change it when it gets around half full...about twice a day. My wafer I can get to last about 2-4 days...depending. I have problems with rashes and if that rash gets under my stoma, only about a day.

andysmith
10th April 2010, 06:46 PM
Hi I Like To Change Mine Every Day ..... My Stoma Team Said To Change It Every 2 To 3 Days ..sod That I Dont Pay For Them Plus It Make Me Feel A Lot Cleaner .... I Use Dansac Nova Drainible Have Found Them To Be The Best For Me ,only Ever Had 1 Leak In 2 Years.
Thank God For Free Scripts Dread To Think How Much All My Stuff Cost .

beebee
10th April 2010, 08:42 PM
I use a 2 piece. I`ve had 12 days from the flange/wafer, but like others I change the bag when I need to.I can go a week, depends on the type of "poo". Love Beth xxx

Kathy
13th April 2010, 05:17 AM
I use a one piece bag, sansura midi, i could keep mine on for a week as i never have any problems with it, but i feel cleaner if i change it everyday and i let my skin air for an hour or so.

There's no such thing as letting my skin air for an hour or so! Little pooper likes living up to it's name-almost constantly! I need to quickly slap on a new wafer unless I give it a break in the shower (followed by a good sanitizing cleaning of the shower!)

newbeginnings09
13th April 2010, 09:31 AM
I have a ileostomy and I wear the drainable two piece holister, I change mine every 7 to 9 days and its still holding strong! It just depends on how often you want to :)
The nurse told me to change every 3 to 4 days but I was getting irratated from doing it so often so I am doing what feels right to me :)

AmmiUK
13th April 2010, 10:10 AM
I change my bag every time I shower. Sometimes that's daily if I've exercised, other times it every other day. After two days the flange is starting to break down and I know if I wear the bag for another day I will end up having a leak.

I have a question for those living in the US? Now that President Obama is bringing in the new health reforms, will you be able to get your ostomy supplies for nothing, or at least more cheaply so that you don't have to struggle to get maximum wear time from each bag.

Hugs,

Ammi :)

newbeginnings09
13th April 2010, 11:47 AM
I live in california and I get all my supplies for free I get 20 bags, gaskets,& flanges every month of my choice through hollister :)
It might just be my husbands insurance through his work also cause not only my bags are free but my surgury and 9 day hospital stay was only $250.00 co pay..for all 9 days.

Kathy
15th April 2010, 08:43 AM
As for Obama's changes, forget that! Actually, much of the US is extremely oposed to the changes. In fact, I'm anticipating paying more in taxes for those who get them free, and more in insurane premiums to make up for those who get them free! Our income tax levels are much lower than yours, I've been told, which is what makes many of those "free" things possible. Personally, I'd rather pay for the insurance. The only thing you have I'd like is in-home visits by a nurse. I'd hate to have to wait for a medical procedure, like Terry had to do recently because of a change of physicians, or Carmel James did when she needed an MRI (was it?) and it seemed like it was quite a few weeks. If I had a possibility of cancer, I'd want to have it done FAST, because of how fast some cancers grow Here, we have it within a week or two, unless it's an emergency or we're a critical patient, like cancer, etc., when we can get in almost right away. I guess there are advantages and disadvantages to each sort of system. And it depends on what we're used to as to which we'd prefer. BTW, the comparisons I gave are based on experiences here in Arkansas. In other states where the insurance companies are more restrictive (such as California companies), or in areas where medical care is more scarce I don't know how it works, I just know that in both Kansas and Arkansas I've been very smentatisfied with the kind of care I've had available.

Kathy
15th April 2010, 08:48 AM
I should add that in most cities there are free clinics available, and reduced or even free medicatications. In our town of 40,000, we even have a free dental clinic available once a month where dentists (mine included) donate their time for the indigent. And hospital emergency rooms cannot refuse to treat a patient just because of inability to pay.

Emily in Memphis
15th April 2010, 11:41 PM
Let's try to keep the politics to a minimum, please!!!

As for the original topic... I change my Hollister one-piece every other day - sometimes I push it another day or so if I can. I used to get a week out of them, but after 15 years and probably some chemical changes in the adhesives, my wafers break down MUCH faster. But, if I got my appliances completely free, I would definitely stop trying to push my wear time.

luv,
em :-)

sam_j_89
23rd April 2010, 06:25 PM
Every 2 days. I have a large open sore around the stoma under the wafer, and that makes it harder to stick. But then again, I wish I could leave it longer, since it hurts so much to disturb it!

chris.ph
24th April 2010, 02:24 AM
i change mine every day sfter ive had my bath when ive finished work and before i eat anything

MattGoodacre
21st May 2010, 12:07 AM
I use a one piece and change it every morning after I've had a shower. Like the other osties from the UK I get mine delievered in boxes of 30, and tend to order two boxes at a time. If I go out on a night out, or have to take a shower at all, I always change my bag, it feels good to have a fresh bag.

Pronto
21st May 2010, 06:22 AM
I chang mine morning and night , the night bag is bigger so dont have to empty during the night ad I fined they are better for traveling Des

JohnChristopher
21st May 2010, 12:04 PM
"It might just be my husbands insurance through his work also cause not only my bags are free but my surgury and 9 day hospital stay was only $250.00 co pay..for all 9 days."

I have an annual co-pay of $250 on the pouches and paid less than $1500 for my surgery and a month-long hospital stay.

But to answer the question, I usually get about 7 days out of mine- only had one problem with leakage, and that was when I had first gotten out. Single piece, drainable Convatec. The belt really does help- pulling the whole thing tight all day is ahuge help against leaks.

beebee
21st May 2010, 04:53 PM
I wear a 2 piece. The bag gets changed when needed. A lot depends if I have tidy poo or not. I have had a flannge /wafer on for 12 days with no problems. xxxx

Soozy-Q
22nd May 2010, 03:26 AM
I wear a 2 piece. The bag gets changed when needed. A lot depends if I have tidy poo or not. I have had a flannge /wafer on for 12 days with no problems. xxxx

You have had a flange on for 12 days??? WOW. That seems like a long time to me. I have to change the flange and the bag about every 4 days - sometimes every 3 days. I have problems with leaks due to an area of scarring that causes an indent in the skin under the wafer. I have to fill in the indent with stomahesive paste and I also use flanges with convexity. I also find that the flange breaks down after that amount of days...I couldn't imagine going 12 days without a flange change....

beebee
22nd May 2010, 05:29 PM
12 days was a one off. I can go a week without the need to change. i`ve been very lucky & have hardly any leaks in 6 years. I have very sensitive skin but have not had any problems since using Cavillon. xx

Shaz
22nd May 2010, 06:19 PM
3 - 4 days is average weartime so don't discouraged if you can't go longer :)

Kathy_from_Indiana
23rd May 2010, 12:57 AM
I used to have free supplies with my insurance. Now I pay 100%. I change only when necessary...7--8 days. I can tell when I need to because I start feeling my seal breaking down. I wear a two-piece convetec with an eakin seal. Also, I have to "slap on and go" most of the time. Never any spa time for Stella.

texazgal
26th May 2010, 01:57 AM
Using the moldable convatec, I can go 6 to 9 days between changes. But have been trying Hollister because I like their new filter and bags better. They only last 3 or 4 days at the most. I don't know why I can't get them to stick better. Tried all kinds of things. No luck.